Friday 29 April 2016

The Humble Yoga Mat



The humble yoga mat is the unsung hero of yoga. Here are some tips about how to care for your mat, and yourself :)

When I did my first yoga class, I didn't have a mat of my own, so I borrowed a spare one from the teacher. It had been borrowed by countless newbies before me... It smelt like feet, had grubby marks all over, and it was not very pleasant to touch.

Yoga mats are not expensive. A normal one is about £10. I would suggest buying a couple: one for at home use, and the other can be kept in your car for classes and yoga emergencies.

I tend to do yoga after my shower when I'm nice and warm. I always moisturise after a shower. I do it on autopilot. But the problem is, it makes my hands all slippery... Not great for yoga! So, try not to moisturise your hands before a yoga session.

Keeping your yoga mat clean is easy and important. I just use fairy liquid (washing up liquid) and give the mat a good rub down in the shower / bath and rinse it off. If you don't have anywhere to hang it up to dry, you could lay it on a towel, or give it a wipe down with a towel. Simples.

If you have hard floors at home, you can make your yoga experience more comfortable by laying the mat onto a rug, rather than straight onto the hard floor.

This blog post won't win any awards, but I hope you find it helpful (in a really mundane way).

Yogi with a mat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment