Thursday 2 June 2016

Circuits - Reborn! Just under 2 weeks until my 1st regatta of the season!

I am preparing for my first regatta of the season in 2 weeks, so I have stepped up my training schedule to match my ambitions.

After doing some searching online, I found these great circuits that have all the movements needed to strengthen my rowing muscles.

A couple of the moves in there are insane! But they have the desired effect. Check them out and let me know what you think.

I have gone back to doing yoga every day, which has kept the aching a bay, and I'm doing lots of racing starts and practice in my single scull.

The first circuit that I have incorporated into my workout is the 'Fast & Dirty' Circuit Workout (sounds good already right!) by Alex Silver Fagan (ASF). It is amazing! Nothing else has made me sweat this much in such a short space of time! I lost 1lb after just one session!

The circuit is just 6 exercises, and you do 3 to 4 circuits / sets:
  1. Burpee with Side-to-Side Shuffle (8 reps)
  2. Split Squat with Shoulder Press (8 reps on each side)
  3. Decline Push-up with Cross Climber (8 reps)
  4. Dumbbell Front Squat to Rotational Press (8 reps)
  5. Renegade Row (8 reps on each side)
  6. Overhead Reach with Toe-Tap Leg Extension (8 reps on each side)
The first time I did this circuit, I managed 2 sets, but the 3rd set almost killed me!

I did the circuit again two days later and I already felt so much stronger! The 3rd set was hard, yes, but it was righteous!

The 2nd circuit - Total Body Strength Workout for Women - is also from ASF. It's more of a dynamic workout, and requires no use of weights, but you can feel the burn!

The first time I tried it was in the afternoon of the same day that I tried the other circuit. I only did 2 sets of this more dynamic circuit, but that was followed by a yoga session.
  1. Touchdown (1 minute)
  2. Hip Escape (1 minute)
  3. Hop to it (10 reps on each side)
  4. Mountain Climber Mix-up! (1 minute)
  5. Combo Deal - Front squat followed by split squat (10 reps on each side)
I did the circuit again two days later, straight after the other circuit. I followed that with 4K in my single scull to cool down out in the open on the river. It felt great to have measurable progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment