Thursday 9 June 2016

Pre-Regatta Rituals & Nerves...



Only 2 days until my first race of the season and the nerves are kicking in!

Last summer I did a couple of regattas in a double scull, each regatta with a different partner and with varying results. This time, however, I will be racing in a single. No one but me in the boat. I will be completely alone... It is a scary thought. Part of the experience of training in double was that camaraderie. You were in it together. You may not always agree about everything, and we had our issues, but we worked through them together. I may never race with those people again, but we developed a strong bond that we will have for life.

I am, by nature, a single sculler. I like the independence that it brings, but being nervous alone is a new experience. I am excited in equal measure, but it's not the same.

Brutal Manicure!


So! I have decided to focus on my pre-regatta rituals. Sculling is very hazardous for one's knuckles. It's very easy to scratch yourself when you draw the handles of the oars towards you at the end of a stroke. The right hand can be a bit zealous as it crosses over the left hand and, especially during a race, knuckles get scratched, there can be blood, and it's not good. As a result, my pre-race ritual includes cutting my finger nails right down and scrupulously filing away the sharp edges.

Yogalicious!


Because there are only 2 days until the race, I have drastically reduced the intensity of my workouts. I do not want to have any muscle fatigue on the day! No cardio or weights for now, just yoga. Sculling is all about balance and finesse, so yoga is great for both. I include yoga in my daily workouts anyway because it is the ultimate stretching and strengthening practice. No aching muscles for me! And it has the added benefits of calming and focusing the mind. Bonus!

Boat TLC


After taking care of my body, my boat is next in line. I will be cleaning that bad boy from top to bottom! The wheels, the runners, the inside and outside will get a thorough once-over. I'll do the usual safety checks, take her out for one last spin and then it's back on the rack until race day!

Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment