Thursday 17 March 2016

Persevere & Doors Will Open!



It has been a long day! Went to work, did some work; came home, did some more work; went to a little leaving do for a colleague; and then to the rowing club to do an erg...!

When I got to the rowing club, there were a couple of people in their who I knew, so I chatted to them for a bit, before finally sitting down to tackle the beast.

Some of the ladies went out for a night time outing, whilst the others presumably had other commitments, so I was ready to erg solo. One of the guys said he'd keep an eye on me, so I didn't feel quite so alone. It was a great help. I couldn't just wimp out and go home.

The first 5 minutes were tough, and I felt like giving up, but I didn't leave my colleague's leaving do and go all that way for nothing! So I carried on. Mark came over when he'd finished his weights session and sat with me for a bit so he could give me some pointers. It felt like a good solid session.

Once I'd finished the set piece, I grabbed my stuff from the changing room and headed downstairs to go outside to my car and I reached the door at exactly the same time as Sir Steve Redgrave!!! Sir Steve Redgrave!!!!!!!!!! He opened the door and very kindly held it open for me so I could come out first. He is a giant of a man! I walked under his arm and barely got within sniffing distance of his armpit!

The moral of the story. By sticking with my set piece on the erg and not cutting any corners, my path collided with a shooting star of Olympic greatness! Go hard or don't even bother leaving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment