Thursday 10 March 2016

There's ALWAYS something left!


Yesterday night, Circuits was tough! Our trainer changed it up, and the session was more focus on getting a cardio / aerobic workout. I didn't want to, but I almost gave up.

Whilst I was doing one of the skipping sets, I decided to imagine that someone was aiming a gun at my head, and they would shoot if I stopped. That worked for a little bit, but then I decided that a clean death would be a sweet release from the nausea in my stomach. So! I imagined that they were aiming the gun at my right knee, and the thought of real pain spurred me on!

There were a couple of other crews training in the gym at the same time, and when I finished, one of the guys said that it looked like I'd breezed through Circuits. If only he knew that it was a life or death situation!

After all that hard work, I was still able to keep my balance and walk down the stairs without falling on my head. Essentially, I was fine. And that's the thing. No matter how hard you think you're training, you still have something left. It's not advisable to train until you pass out, but it has been known to happen at ergathons!

One of the coaches at the club summed it up nicely. You need to be able to give your best performance in every race. At some regattas, you may have to race 2, 3 or 4 times in a day! Every race has to be your best. So you need to train smart. Get your body to the point where it gives everything that it's got and finds the same to give again.

No comments:

Post a Comment