Sunday 21 February 2016

Windsor shenanigans

No rowing this morning because I went to Heathrow airport at 7am to say goodbye to my sister. She's moving to Australia for 14 months... Very sad to see her go, but really excited for her! We spoke to her on the phone a few times, right up until the plane was getting ready to head for the runway. A rowing holiday in Australia and New Zealand is in order!

Because it was still early when we left the airport, my parents and I decided to go into Windsor for some breakfast, but we ended up staying there until 1pm!

We had breakfast at the gorgeous Windsor MacDonald hotel, followed by some sightseeing and shopping. It was a great day. I don't like shopping, so I tend to avoid town centres. But when I do need new stuff, I add it to my list and usually buy it online or check the shops if I'm passing by. So I managed to pick up a few things whilst we were out and about. I got a new umbrella and some high-tops, and my dad very kindly bought me some new smart knee-high boots for work. He also treated me to some delicious fudge and chocolates... Yum! I am going to be so spoilt now that my sister is away!

Random clock in the pavement, Windsor

Windsor is so pretty. It reminds me of Bath and Cheltenham. It's so cool that the castle is right in the middle of town. When I moved to Warwick just over 3 years ago, I was surprised to discover that the castle was right in the town centre. But Warwick Castle has quite a lot of land and a moat surrounding it, so you can only see the castle boundary walls from the outside and not the castle itself. In Windsor, however, the castle itself is just another building in the town, with just a narrow grass verge surrounding it. Very cool.

It was quieter than I'd expected, especially as it's still half term, but it was nice to stroll around without the crowds.

It's not very often that I get to spend quality time with my family, because rowing takes up all my time, so it was a real treat to spend some time with my parents. They are very funny and good company, and it was a day well spent. We parted company at lunchtime. Back to work and training as usual tomorrow. My abs should have recovered by then, and be ready for some more punishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment